Our commitment to student welfare
The pastoral care and support for our students is a priority for the Academy. We have a strong pastoral support network to ensure that no child is forgotten and that we effectively meet their pastoral needs.
Each student is placed into one of 4 houses; Ash, Elm, Bay or Yew House. Each house is led by a non-teaching Head of House and a Deputy Head of House. The House system permeates most aspects of school life and generates healthy competitive spirit. The quality and range of extra-curricular activities help students to develop the self-esteem and confidence to succeed.
This support network also includes;
- an SEND team comprising a SENDCo, Deputy SENDCo and a team of Teaching Assistants;
- A Behavior Support Team;
- A non-teaching Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) and 3 Deputy DSLs;
- A school Medical Advisor (specialising in mental health);
- 2 Child and Family Support Workers;
- Attendance Manager;
- An Outdoor-Adventurous Activities Leader.
Standards of discipline and uniform are high at Smith’s Wood Academy. Our students know what good behaviour is and they demonstrate this in all that they do.